The Refugee Council has a number of different projects and delivers a wider range of services to asylum seekers, refugees and new migrants in Yorkshire and Humber.
For nearly two years, newly arrived people seeking asylum have been placed in a number of hotels across the Yorkshire and Humber region. This was initially in response to a shortage of dispersed accommodation at the turn of the year. However, since the emergence of the Covid 19 crisis and the resulting pause on people being evicted from their asylum accommodation, hotel use has continued to increase in the region due to a growing lack of available accommodation for new arrivals claiming asylum.
The Refugee Council’s Hotel Programme of support began in 2020 and includes advocacy, therapy, training and education sessions and health activities. The Hotel’s project has been engaging with residents in hotels in Leeds, Rotherham, Sheffield & Hull delivering health briefings, English conversation, arranging donations of essential clothing.
We have secured funding to develop a new ESOL programme bespoke to the needs of people seeking asylum that will run in Leeds with plans to scale up to the Yorkshire and Humberside region. The project coordinator will be responsible for setting up and delivering an engaging and relevant curriculum. They will lead on the commissioning of specialists to develop a bespoke curriculum which ultimately, we will aim to become accredited. Classes will be delivered by volunteers and will focus on practical topics such as using public transport, shopping, visiting the GP. In addition to this there will be activities that explore popular culture such as music, films and art. Classes will include formal ESOL classes as well as conversational, informal group sessions. The curriculum will be delivered over a period of 6 months – however this is rolling programme and will take place on an ongoing basis. The Project coordinator will have full responsibility of recruiting and supporting volunteers.
Main Duties and Responsibilities
- To be responsible for the overall planning, monitoring, reporting and delivery elements of the ESOL project in the Yorkshire and Humber region
- Identifying, recruiting and supporting volunteers who will ideally be CELTA TESOL qualified to deliver ESOL classes and associated activities in hotels in Yorkshire.
- Coordinating the delivery of classes for residents in the hotels.
- To establish partner agreements with the accommodation provider at each hotel.
- To act as the central point of contact the accommodation provider and other key stakeholders such as Local Authorities and third sector groups.
For more information please see the attached Job Description
Deadline: 5th May 2022