Brilliant resource shared by Katy from PATH Yorkshire
Visiting the library can be a good way to meet different people, develop skills and practise English. Today on a visit we learned about what we can do…
Register to get a free library card number, and you can practise listening skills, with audiobooks to download or take home on CDs. You can borrow books to study English grammar or read short easy stories for adults. You can take home books in Arabic, Farsi and many more languages, or English books about driving theory, places to visit in Yorkshire, recipes to cook, wellbeing and many many other topics. You can keep books for 6 weeks, and take them back to the library nearest your home (there are 35 local libraries in Leeds – find your nearest one here).
You can go to these activities to practise speaking and listening, while learning a skill (see photos attached):
- Digital 121 Support to help you use the internet, your smartphone, tablet or computer. Ask the library workers for help [email protected] or phone 0113 3785005
- Free adults’ Craft group, Tuesdays 1.30-4pm from 11th January 2022
- Free adults’ Drop in and Draw, every Thursday during term-time, 12.30-2.30
- Age 14+ Quilled Paper Art, Tuesday 11 January 5.30-7.30pm, pay what you feel you can
- For ages 16-30, free audio-visual art and media training, with support to gain accredited Audio-Visual Media Production Level 2&3 qualifications, with support from Studio 12 project. Register in person at the library Tue, Wed, Thu, Fri 1-5pm, email [email protected] or phone 0113 3951593
- Free activity for children under 5, Story and Rhyme every Thursday 10.30-11.30 – no need to book. (Contact the library nearest your home to find more Story and Rhyme activities**)
- Children’s craft activity, The 12 Cones of Christmas, book online for Halton on Monday 20th December 2-3pm, or Morley on Tuesday 21st December 2-3pm (no more tickets for central library event)
- Leeds Library free apps (use your library card number to login to these and more services eg support to start a business):
- Borrowbox – listen to audiobooks and read e-books on your phone, laptop or tablet
- Road to IELTS – online preparation course for IELTS international English exam (many IELTS books also available to borrow)
- Libby free online magazines to read
- Leeds libraries app to book a computer at any library in Leeds, or reserve, borrow and renew books
- Central library opening times: 9am-8pm Mondays-Thursdays; 9am-5pm Fridays; 10am-4pm Saturdays, email [email protected] or phone 0113 3785005
You can find the library nearest to your home and more information below, from the libraries website: https://www.leeds.gov.uk/libraries.
Things to do at the Library….