Being far from home can be a bit rubbish, especially around Christmas time when everyone else is having fun. Here are some resources we hope you find helpful
The fabulous Leeds Food Aid network have published a list of all the places offering free food and welcome that they know about
in addition, we read that Estabulo – the Brazilian Restaurant near the Playhouse/BBC offering a free Christmas Dinner on Christmas Day. The first sitting will be from 6pm until 7.30pm. The second sitting will be from 7.30pm until 9pm.
Mental Health and Wellbeing
The Mindwell website has produced a great resource – the 12 days of Christmas Toolkit – to help people survive the Christmas period. This includes a list of mental health support that people can access if thing’s are coming on top by phone, in person , as well a list of Christmas Day events.
Refugee and Asylum Seeker Support
- Meeting Point are running a drop-in 1.30-4.00pm on Monday 24th and Monday 31st December. This will be a reduced drop-in mainly focussed on providing food provision and a warm, friendly social space for refugees and asylum seekers.
- Asylum Help 0808 800 630 nb (Xmas opening hours not available)
- G4S Accommodation – Out of hours phone 01909 533 500 or 0800 377 7361
- Resources for people who have been detained
- Emergency accommodation for asylum seekers is hard to find over the Christmas period. LASSN’s Grace Hosting scheme will not take new referrals after 21st December until 2nd January 2019.
- Although the WYDAN Winter Shelter is open, referrals can only be made by British Red Cross and PAFRAS.
- St George’s Crypt will only usually take refugees or people with the right to remain in the UK.
- If temperatures drop beneath zero degrees overnight then the Severe Weather Emergency Protocol kicks in and anyone can find shelter, regardless of their immigration status. You can find out if the SWEP has been declared by looking at the Street Support Website
- Homeless Households with children under 16 should contact Leeds City Council and ask for help under Section 17 of the Children Act, regardless of their immigration status. They can also use the emergency out of hours number 07891 273939.
Leeds Reporting Centre (Waterside Court)
- 0113 3865985 (only staffed between 10:00 – 12:00 and 14:00 – 16:00)
- Asylum applications submitted before 5 March 2007 – 0151 213 4288
- Asylum applications submitted after March 2007 – 0113 341 1955
- ARC card queries: [email protected]
- Lost ARC/Aspen card queries – 0808 8000 630 (Asylum help)
- ASPEN card (Function/Balance/PINs) 01276 687 099
- Asylum General Enquiries – 0300 123 2241
- Visas, settlement, extending your stay in the UK, general immigration enquiries; the Immigration Rules – UK Visas and Immigration contact centre – 0300 123 2241
- Asylum Support Application UK – Telephone: 0808 8000 631 Monday to Friday, 8am to 5.30pm
- Asylum Support customer contact centre, for questions about your asylum support application – including your weekly cash support, accommodation or emergency cash payments – Migrant Helpline – 0300 123 2235
Removals & return
- Removals, deportations, detention – West Yorkshire Enforcement Team 0113 386 5680 (open 07:00 – 21:00 hrs 7 days a week)
- Assisted Voluntary Return – 0808 8000 007
- Voluntary Departure team – 0300 0040 0202