Ruth Martin – Exhibitions Curator at Leeds Museums writes
I want to let you know about a series of projects happening at Leeds City Museum this year which will tell the stories of people who have made a home in Leeds in the past 250 years. I have attached some more information for you to look at, but have put a brief summary below.
We’d love to hear from you if you would like to be involved. You can either contact me (Ruth) directly, or email [email protected]
- Community case displays – 5 displays exploring the migration stories of people living in Leeds today. We would like to use objects borrowed from people in these displays. (May-December 2019)
- Films – around 5 interviews with people telling their story. (May-December 2019)
- Special Exhibition – an exhibition exploring the history of migration to Leeds, using our collection and objects from other people. (July-December 2019)
- Window Bays – a space for art-based projects to be displayed – we would love to hear from artists or groups who have work that they’d like to display. (March-December 2019)
Interested? Like to be involved?
If this project sounds like something that your organisation/people you work with might be interested in, there are lots of ways to get involved:
- Share your story – one of the attachments has a couple of questions to help with this or people can visit: https://surveys.leeds.gov.uk/s/MyMigrationStory/. This can be totally anonymous.
- Ask us to come along to one of your groups to talk to people/bring objects from the museum to show to them
- Lend an object/objects for us to include in the displays – these don’t need to be ‘museum’ objects, we’re really interested in things that people have brought with them or that have a particular story
- Come along to one of our advisory meetings and help us to shape the projects
- Appear in one of our films or be a subject for one of our photography portraits
- Help us to organise an event/suggest an event that you’d like to hold at the museum
- Anything else that you can think of – we’re really open to suggestions
- If you know people who might be interested in working with us, they can register as volunteers and we can pay travel expenses.
If you’d like me to send anything out to you in the post, or to speak on the phone please just let me know. I look forward to hearing from you.